Community Events Volunteer
Role Description and application form
Bana Tandizo Foundation (BTF - formerly Estelle Trust), is a UK-based charity which has been supporting development aid projects in Zambia since 2004. The focus of the Foundation is to retain poor children in school through a combination of infrastructure development, on-site technical support, and grant funding. These services are managed directly by the local implementing office - Bana Tandizo Zambia Ltd (BTZ).
In Zambia, BTZ works directly with its implementing partners at 6 project sites, supported by a locally employed Programme Manager and community welfare volunteers. These latter assist to deliver health and welfare activities in the community catchment areas. Being a small organisation, BTF is also reliant on volunteers to assist with fund-raising activities in the UK to expand its donor reach, and to inform on forthcoming events. The recent addition of a honey store is intended to provide additional income to support BTF’s programme in Zambia.
BTF is in the early stages of a donor recruitment drive, which will require many energetic and enthusiastic people on the ground to get it effectively launched and underway. Thus, BTF is seeking to recruit Community Events Volunteers (CEV) to assist with fundraising at community events in Summer 2018. Events are typically fun days that will include talking with and providing information to the public. There will also be free time allocated to enjoy the event itself.
Activities and Tasks
· Assist with setting up a stall at an event
· Learn a small amount about the charitable programmes of BTF and be ready to talk to interested people
· Gauge the interest levels of people and offer up ways that they can support the charity. (Training will be offered).
· Record details of sales and contact details of customers and people making donations
· Enjoy being at the events!
· Good verbal communication skills and a polite manner
· Enthusiasm and energy for charitable projects
· Ability to memorise and retain a small amount of factual information
· Ability to lift a 6kg pack of honey from floor to table height
· Full, clean UK driving license desirable, but not essential
Frequency and Location
Events are situated in the West Sussex and Hampshire counties. The majority are within the area of Bognor Regis. Events are typically 1 day in duration and a CEV would normally split their time between assisting with the event and benefitting from free time at the event. The CEV will be part of a flexi team that are informed of an upcoming event via email and social media.
Examples of events BTF is booked at in 2018 include:
· Hotham Park Country Fair
· Bognor Kite Festival
· Alresford Watercress Festival
Training and Supervision
CEVs will be invited to attend a training and induction session that will prepare them for their role at an event. This induction will provide them with the information about BTF that they will need to know, the routines at events, and access to formal information including BTF policies and processes. Volunteers accepted in to the pool will be provided with a BTF t-shirt, a volunteer guidebook and contact details for BTF management.